Sunday, September 06, 2009

Luke's new school and first time in classroom

Luke is starting full-day Kindergarten this year at a brand new elementary school. The school had a ribbon-cutting ceremony and open house we attended and Luke was really excited to be among the first kids to go to this pretty new school. It was very nice and Rob was able to attend and check it out too!


Our big boy standing outside of the school after the ceremony.

Carys and Luke


Here I am paying dues for my first year of PTA!

Luke had to try out the new water fountain in the hall on the way to class because it is sooo cool!

We are looking at the pictures of his teachers.


Luke found his desk really fast because he is up front and close to the door!

This is Carys after we told her, yet again, that this wasn't HER classroom.

This looks posed, but I assure you it isn't. Luke just couldn't focus on our little assignment for 5 minutes because he wanted to explore the room! Let's just hope this isn't foreshadowing of the year to come! :)

Luke, again looking elsewhere, but we were checking out the birthday board. Luke had to find his name in 4 different spots around the room. He is trying to read everything so it took a while, but he had a blast. There are 30 kids in the class with 2 adults. We have a great feeling about the teachers too!


I just had to include a picture of the smart board. I have never seen one and I definitely didn't have this when I was teaching in PG County. I love it!



After the classroom we headed to the library. Rob was the photographer and he did a great job! Luke was running around reading the titles of all the books. It is fun to see him so excited about school...let's hope it lasts.

Later that night I asked Luke how he was feeling about starting school in a few days and he said, "good." I asked if he was nervous at all or just excited. He replied, "I'm excited. There is only one thing I don't like. I don't like that kindergarten doesn't start tomorrow!" As sad as it makes me to have a kid growing up, it was music to my ears to hear how ready he was for school. We also had a conversation about the bus. I have been really on the fence about allowing him to ride, but after considering how much of the routine is set at the beginning I decided to let him start. I asked Luke if he wanted me to walk him in the first day of school and then he could ride home on the bus. He said, "No, I want to ride the bus to school." I said, "OK. We will walk down at 8:30am." He said,"Why can't I just walk by myself without you, mom?!" I lied and said,"It is the bus rules that a mommy has to walk their kindergartner to the stop. Sorry, buddy." I couldn't help myself. :)

Stay tuned for pictures at the bus stop and first day attire! His only request for school was a Star Wars book bag...mom wasn't too keen on buying another brand new one since his spider man one was perfect from preschool last year and I already bought him a Star Wars lunch box. Thanks to Emom who actualized his dream of blending in with all the other kinder kids with Star Wars. He also is insisting on wearing a Star Wars t-shirt on the first day...we'll see who wins the fight...probably him! Sigh! Here we go!

3 comments:

Tina said...

He's going to have so much fun. It looks like a really nice school.

Mom and Dad said...

Our little guy is so grown up. We are excited to see him so excited for school. Carys is such a cutie too! I'm sure she will love preschool. What is mom going to do with her no kid time? I know, get ready for the new baby! Love ya lots Julie, Mom M.

Brynn said...

Poor Carys that picture is classic! Preschool is on the way baby girl!