Thursday, September 24, 2009

Any thoughts?

Since I KNOW there are some readers out there, I KNOW you care,right? So help us! We are having a terrible time choosing a name for this little guy. I will list our final contenders, but are open to any awesome suggestions you have for us (and are willing to share and possibly lose to our family). Please do not be offended if we don't choose one you suggested...Rob may surprise me and have an opinion about this at some point. ;) JK...I love you, Rob! I don't' know why this one has been so difficult, but nothing is totally jiving for us.

I am nearing the end and I finally feel like being there...the end that is. My body is giving me all sorts of signals it is prepping and my excitement is building...5.5ish more weeks! Woo hoo! Oh, and take our quiz about when he'll arrive on our sidebar!

Our list: oh and the middle name is going to be Brian (after Rob's dad)

*Bennett
*Jude
*Rhett
*Jax
Tyce
Trey
Quinn

15 comments:

Andy and Katy said...

If you are for sure going to use Brian for the middle name-I think that Rhett or Jax go the best with it. My very fav is Quinn! Good Luck-boy names are so hard.

Tina said...

I'm a fan of Tyce Brian.

Ryann said...

I like Tyce or Trey. So funny but three of the names that you chose always remind me of the cutest/most popular boys from high school! That bodes well for you little man!

Shelly said...

These are very non traditional names. Are Jax, Tyce, Trey really names? Trey is a nickname for someone who is the III, like Matthew James Astle III "Trey". Trey meaning three. Tyce seems like a nickename of Tyson and Jax seems like a nickname of Jack or Jackson. Why not use those names and call them Tyce or Jax for short? Quinn is a fine name, and has great scrabble value. Jude is fine, but means Jewish, so depends on if that's what you want. Rhett screams "Gone with the Wind" when used as a first name, though it is a prominent last name in the South. Bennett is also a surname that is just beginning to be used as a first name. I don't know, when paired with Brian I would say that maybe Quinn works best? But what do I know and it's your baby anyway, so it's what you want that matters most!!

Matt Astle said...

Naming is something I think a lot about these days, as evidenced on my own blog. But my first thought is that it's obvious you guys have very different naming aesthetics than I do. I mean, my list includes Mary and Sarah and Katherine, and here you come with Jax, Trey, and Tyce. And look at the difference between the names Annie and Carys!

That said, here are my comments. Your last name, Morgan, can be used as a first name. Therefore I would shy away from first names that could also be surnames, such as Bennett and Quinn. Otherwise, people are always going to be saying, "Is your name Bennett Morgan, or Morgan Bennett?"

Oddly enough, like my wife, I'm not a big fan of the exta-unusual names like Tyce, Jax, and Trey. All three of those names, when spoken aloud, aren't obvious how they're spelled. They could be Tice, Jacks, and Tre'. That's a big factor for me; it may not be for you. And you have to remember this will be his name for his whole life - I have a hard time thinking of a middle-aged, balding regional manager of a paper manufacturing company named Tyce.

Name the kid Rhett, and everyone will picture him as Clark Gable. There's no getting around it. And, having very recently read and loved "Gone With the Wind," I can testify that Rhett Butler is a self-centered, Machiavellian murderer, philanderer, thief, and blackguard and not a nice person at all. Of course, his movie swear word notwithstanding, most people do have a favorable impression of him, so that's probably not going to ruin people's impression of your son if he's named Rhett.

So I vote for Jude. It's a Biblical name, It's unusual but not too wacky, it's obvious how to spell it, and it doesn't conjure up any negative connotations (except for anti-Semites). My only concern: is it too similar to Luke?

Kristi said...

I really like Jude ;) but any name you pick will be great!

RTM said...

I still like Beau and Luke--just like the Duke boys.

Shelly said...

I know, the Astles are adding too much. But I've thought some more and am now a big fan of Jack in place of Jax. Jack Brian Morgan sounds wonderful, I think. And you could still call him Jax as a nickname. I would use Jack myself if I ever had a boy, but can't because of our last name.

Andrea said...

hahahahaha all of these comments were entertaining but shelly takes the cake with jack astle! i obviously choose a little more on the traditional side w/ my kids (although not biblical), but i absolutely LOVE carys and i never would have come up with that! it's different but not "utah-make-up-a-name" different. my three favorites from your list are jude, quinn and rhett.

The Morgan Family said...

I really like Jude. I tried that when I was pregnant with Grady after reading Jude the Obscure, but Mike wouldn't go for it. Trey is a great name too! Good luck, our battle is just beginning.

Rob and Jewls said...

Shelly, that was really funny! I like Jackson, but feel like it sounds like a bank with our last name and I think that it is really popular too. And to think, I only have a little over a month to decide! AHHH!

Anonymous said...

Aren't you glad you opened a can of worms with asking for input? I like Bennett a lot. The only thing I would worry about is if it would get shortened to Ben and would you like that? Not that I don't like Ben...but I always try to think of the nicknames that could arise. Then again, you never know...Brian was called Blake all through high school. So maybe he'll just go by Morgan!?! We have the same issue of last name being a first name! Good luck!! I can't wait to meet your new little guy!

Sarah said...

Hmm...out of that list I think I like Rhett, Jude, and Quinn. Except with Quinn, all three of his names will end with a hard "n" sound...
That is the hardest decision!
And I agree about your bank comment too funny:)

danberg said...

I can't believe you are about to have number 3. I ran across old freshman year pics from BYU the other day, man that seems forever ago!!! Names are so hard for us to decide on, but I really like
Jediah (Jed for short)
Elliot
Bennett
and Max

Good luck :) I'm a repeat C-sectioner myself, and the second recovery was much better. not sure if this is your second, but it sounds like it !

Mom and Dad said...

I still like Thomas Brian Morgan. But I like good old traditional names for boys. I heard that if you name a boy a good strong boy name they will have a good strong self image. Look at Rob--Robert Thomas Morgan--what a guy! But we will love anything you choose! Love ya! Mom M.