This is the best learn to read set ever!!! BUY IT! WALMART Hooked on Phonics Learn to Read Kindergarten Set
For Christmas I bought Luke a Hooked on Phonics set to begin reading. Well, I bought the wrong one and returned it. It took me until March to find the correct set for Kindergarten age kids (this is the one that begins actual reading, not just the letter identification and sound awareness). I told myself that I wasn't going to push Luke, just see what he wanted to do. It was his next academic step and I have been putting off the reading and focusing on his interests which have been spelling lately. Let me tell you he comes up with some crazy spelling and then argues with me when I tell him it isn't a word. Yeah, I know, he's 3...not an issue. And it isn't. Well, Luke has been hot and cold with the idea of learning to read. One day it is, "Mom, I want to read by myself. What is this word? I want to learn to read." The next day it is, "I don't want to learn to read. You read!" His best friend Morgan got the set for Christmas too (the right one) and has been very successful with it. So, I was motivated and I bought it. I did not begin the program yet. My mom, the natural born teacher, came into town. I swear, whatever she suggests is gold to Luke. Wouldn't you know it? He wanted to learn to read with Emom! My mom worked the program with the CDs and booklets and Luke read his first two books after about an hour! He loved it! I just hung out downstairs and didn't interfere. (I actually didn't believe it until he reread the books and some random words...I thought it was merely memorization.) He was so proud of himself. He read for Rob today and I realized what an awesome program this is! I just had to share the program with other moms. I am not sure what to do next...he isn't as cooperative with me and my mom just left! Oh well! If he never reads another book until Kindergarten that is OK with me because his first experience was a positive and successful one!
No comments:
Post a Comment