NO!!! They give their owners headaches!
Yesterday, Captain got a bottle of migraine pills which contain Acetaminophen, Aspirin, and Caffeine. He literally reached it among other random things in the middle of our island in the kitchen. He chewed it until the top popped off and he ingested some random amount of pills. I almost didn't call the vet, but instantly felt guilty and called. It must have been a motherly instinct...for my dog/3rd kid...because he had to go to the doggie ER and was hospitalized for 3 days while they do a series of pumping, injecting, and preventing for toxic levels of Acetaminophen. I nearly choked when they told me the deposit amount...$2400!!!! Those of you who know Rob can imagine the reaction he had when I broke the news. It was unavoidable since the toxic levels would've caused liver failure and would be fatal...I mean how would we explain a dead dog to the kids?! I am just kidding...we would have been devastated had I not called and really missed the seriousness of what he ate. POOR CAPTAIN!!!! POOR ROB AND JULIE'S BANK ACCT!!! Life just wouldn't be complete without an emergency trip to the animal hospital!
4 comments:
All I can say is, Oh my gosh! This will prove to andy and kids are cheaper than dogs. I hope that captain is ok.
Katy
Oh no, Julie! That is so stressful! I'm glad your dog is ok!
Ahhh! Holy crap, Captain! I thought our $200 bill for rotten salmon was bad. I'm so sorry! How traumatic for Captain, you and the checkbook. I hope you all bounce back from this soon!
This was a time when I quickly recalled Grandpa Morgan's "nickel cure" for pet health problems. I don't know how many times the cure was actually used, but apparently a .22 shell cost about a nickel back in the day--and inflation hasn't driven it up much since. In the end, of course, we forked over the cash, or, more accurately, the credit card, but I retaught myself the concept of "sunk costs" over and over again as I told myself just because we've already invested too much money in this dog doesn't mean that we are somehow more obligated to keep throwing money at him.
There's no getting back the purchase price, the gazillion dollars of initial check-up/vaccination bills, or the $347 we spent just two weeks ago to remove the boy's testes. Nope, they're all sunk costs, and having sunk them didn't make this weekend's bill any more necessary. Why not just take the risk, hope he doesn't get sick, and put him down if he does? It would have been a lot cheaper, and Grandpa would have considered much more practical. The truth is that as obnoxious as he sometimes is, I'm pretty attached to the guy, and plus, how would we explain to Luke someday that we put down his first dog after only 6 1/2 months of dog ownership? Oh well. What's the saying? S--- happens. I'm trying to convince myself that's the right attitude to have, but I probably cursed more on Friday than I have in the past ten years combined, and I can't say I'm completely over the urge to curse more just yet.
Post a Comment