Saturday, January 12, 2008

Yep, I am joining the political blogging bandwagon

How do I compete in this political world of double standards and judgments?

Before I address my question I should give some background. I, by nature or should I say by nurture, should be a staunch conservative and very charged at every election time. Just to paint a picture, my mom even went to a Bush Rally and was partially photographed in the paper during the "miscount" in Florida. My grandparents religiously listen to Rush Limbaugh and swear by FOX NEWS. While, I share most of their political views, I have really tried not to be as emotionally into politics as a whole. Then, I went and married the son my mom never had, who is very diplomatic and researched and up to date on political issues. Rob's love of politics began at a ripe early age and hasn't really stopped. In many ways, I feel inadequate among my family and friends to even air my views for fear I haven't researched both sides enough to spew facts to back my opinions. I also don't care for the stress it would bring to my life as I am unable to half care about something. I would research and therefore defend my conclusions much too passionately. Honestly, I can talk and armed with the right ammo/research would most likely win many a debate. Perhaps that makes me politically lazy.

My real problem lies with the ugliness surrounding politics, politicians, and citizens during these times. I have a problem with the expectation that politicians should be super-human and without flaws. They are expected to never change their minds and to also change the world we know. We don't elect government officials to play God. (Maybe that is societies' problematic view..too much power in government.) I hate the judgment we pass daily on every word, deed, and ill-timed smirk a candidate says or does. What do we really want? How unrealistic can we as a people be? One person will never change it all and expecting them to say so leaves us with empty promises of perfection. Doesn't anyone get tired of the personal discussions about these men's personal lives? Doesn't anyone grow weary of analyzing them with a fine-tooth comb and a magnifying glass?

I guess in conclusion to this rant, I just wish the people of this country would rise to a taller stand and truly stop watching debates to watch other humans flounder and stop laughing at the men who are actually stepping up for a job none of us could/would do. Does that excuse their immoral actions? No, but does judging them excuse societies' immoral actions? It is amazing the lack of sincerity and over-all lack of forgiveness that exists in our political world or world in general. In fact, it is sadly telling of how our society has taken a nasty turn. Also, what is this business about not allowing these human candidates to change their minds ever? Who do you know that has never made a mistake, changed their mind on a topic or issue. How do we expect these men to be all-knowing. It is no wonder our presidents are getting god-complexes. We give them to them. I am sure the elections in Washington and Jefferson's times were heated and controversial, but were they concerned with how they prayed? whether they were appropriately intimate with their spouse? how they cooked their eggs? or combed their wig? I mean really!

I do not shun political debate and discussion. I merely think we should chose our candidate or favorite based on good and realistic standards. I believe in freedom of opinion. I believe in freedom of choice. I just don't like the ugliness this whole business brings out in normal, educated, and usually reasonable people.

I will probably feel differently tomorrow. So, please don't take my blog post as gospel on Julie's views or hold me too accountable for this "freedom of speech." :) Just laugh as I am right now. In the end, I usually turn off the news and say, "what will be will be." Thank goodness I have a government/gospel to raise my kids with.

And yes, I am definitely a republican and I pretty much choose my candidates based on the moral issues, which to me, are black and white. Sadly, that is getting harder to do as the moral line is getting
less and less clear for the candidates. I don't agree with gun control, abortion, gay marriage, raised taxes, increased government interference or control. I don't like the idea of socialized medicine. I do like the Federalist views in having state governments. I hate the idea that our government is "supposed" to give us our "deserved" handouts. I hate the idea that government is supposed to save all...where is our responsibility and accountability. This is what democracy is about...self choice, independence, and freedom. Not being held under the thumb of government or taking from their hand our food, medical care, money, businesses, etc. what do we deserve?...to work hard and make our world happy and teach our children to be honest and to have integrity so they don't perpetuate the cyclic problems in our country.

3 comments:

RTM said...

...a rare foray into politics by the lovely Julie. Way to pipe up, toots.

Ryann said...

I agree with you that politics is getting very ugly. Probably will only get worse each election. I also am saddened by the attacks that have occured by normal people about politics. Both myself and my friend Abby have had political blog entries and they got pretty heated. I would love to see a return to decent and civilized political discussions!

Mom and Dad said...

Well said Julie, I definitely agree with you. I also hate the way the campaigning for pres. starts so early. I already don't want to listen to the candidates because I am tired of listening to them. It gets to the point where you don't care who wins. You just want it to be over. The candidates are already starting to pick on each other. I hate that! Where is their dignity? Mom M.