

Today I find myself envious of my kids, specifically Luke. What would life be like to find fun and games in all you do? It doesn't matter the setting or the tone of what is going on around him, he builds a whole imaginary world of his own. Those of you who have known Luke for a while have heard how he used to make his feet talk to each other in the car to create role play. It would be unsettling except that he is very social and outgoing. I wish I could find the motivation to sit in a basket and laugh while I pretend I was bathing. I wish I could be a "motorcycle hero" and pretend the laundry basket is my car to save crashed bikes that slid on the deck of cards he spread all over the floor to create a slippery terrain. Truly, he can create a world with nearly anything.
Although envious, I can't seem to forget my adult ways and take part too long in his made up world. Maybe it my inability to turn my mind off and rid it of the running "to-do list." It is like having one foot in his world and one foot in mine...I am avoiding mine and not succumbing to his. Boy, wouldn't it be great to turn my chore of vacuuming up Christmas tree needles into a secret mission to suck up the poisonous ants that are invading my house? Then I could stealthily, with acrobatics, move the suction wand to create a clean floor.
My question is when does that ability to imagine and play stop? Teenagers don't really do it. We definitely don't stop enough in life to do it. So, how do we get it back? My goal is to pick a day and just imagine and play all day no matter what adult jobs are to be done. Perhaps it will give a new name to the things I call "chores." It is this innocence and imagination that makes kids unique in this world. It is also one thing that keeps us young as moms of toddlers. I pray that even when Luke is older he will retain some of his creativity and zest for life. It will make the growing up chore much easier. Oh to be young!
-Pic#1: Luke 11-07 Pic #2: Luke 02/07
No comments:
Post a Comment