Thursday, December 20, 2007

Do your duty with a heart full of song!

So, the dreaded duty of attending the holiday work party on a Thursday night was here! Why do I dread this so much? Aside from having to find something fabulous to wear and feel thin in, I have to get ready and not be frazzled on a weeknight. There really isn't an option whether we attend. It is the nature of working your way up in an office. Rob has to be known and respected. This means going to these events with his wife. I wasn't thrilled today and this was my nasty attitude this morning. (I'll admit my error in having a nasty attitude about it.) I was struggling not to call Rob up at work and send him stag to his shindig. What changed by 6 pm you ask? Keep reading.

Well, I had already found my dress and the perfectly matching shoes, I had a free babysitter (thanks, Brynn), and I talked Rob into coming home to give me some semi-alone time to get ready without burning one of the kids with my curling iron. It is amazing how an uninterrupted shower and freshly shaved legs can make it all seem worth it! All of the sudden, I was ready and willing to schmooze with the best of the wives and significant others. The honest truth is the thing that changed it all for me was when my son looked at me in my underwear with my hair and makeup done and said, "Mommy, you look marvelous!" Yep, that's right, "marvelous." It was so sweet it even made up for the 7 tearful fits he threw today because he was tired and unreasonable. He continued to shower me with compliments until he got to the babysitter. Who needs a hubby to think I am gorgeous when my son is so obviously in love with me...should that be a little scary? Isn't there an actual complex about this...Oedipus something or other? Whatever! I will drink up this love and affection until the day that he slams the door in my face with a loud, "mom, get out!" or when he shrugs off my arm from a side hug. It makes me sad to even think about it...so I won't!

All in all, the night was a success! It was great as usual to meet the people Rob works with and to see him in his element. Rob and I had a lot of fun and the food was great. We, sadly, didn't win a $200 gift prize to a spa or mall in the raffle, but we had great conversation and got to feel like a real couple out on the town. So, I did my "duty" and my heart is singing. It's funny how it no longer feels like a duty. Hopefully, I can hold on to that for the next office party! :)

1 comment:

Mom and Dad said...

That's my grandson. Don't you just love him! Mom M.