Monday, December 28, 2009

"Mallow out dude!"


I am a firm believer that children not only bless our lives in millions of little ways, but that they are part of our family for a purpose...more like they play a role for us and us for them. Each of my kids have taught us (me and Rob) something profound and necessary for a happy life. Some of these roles did not become obvious until they were a little older than infants, but Cameron has already taken hold of some teaching moments and shown us a thing or two.

Luke came to our lives like a lion...roaring and gnashing his teeth at every threat to his freedom. (That was not what he taught us.) His personality has been both extremes...sensitive and strong willed. He taught us how to lighten up in life. The more we lightened up the easier he was to deal with and it was so much more fun...surprise surprise. His zest for life keeps us on our toes and really livens up our family spirit as he sees so many things as adventure. I especially needed that lesson since I grew up with girls around me. I love that I have so much to look forward to with him in our family to crack the whip of fun!

"Roar!"

Carys was the sweetest baby and smiled from what seemed like the first moment we saw her. She is a typical girl, now at 3, with mood swings and a flair for drama. She has a unique ability to find joy and excitement at the smallest things in life. She shows us the "rosy" sides of things and points out, with her squeals of joy and giggles, how great she thinks everything is. That is a great lesson for us, who can be pretty pessimistic at times and sometimes just get sick of the monotony of reality. I know she will bring this light to our family forever and her brothers will be better for it, too.

top: shows us her sticky hands with all the enthusiasm she had!
bottom: easter picture where she just sat in the flowers and loved them!

Now Cameron, at 8 weeks, has already taught us a great lesson as well. My sister picked out an outfit that has a marshmallow soaking in hot chocolate and it says, "Mallow out dude!" It struck me as the perfect phrase to fit our little guy. He has managed to slow us down and remind us of the little special and important moments in life. We had swine flu and because he was here I got to be stuck in a room with him for 6 days...slowing down and bonding. He is extremely mellow and content. Rather than that trait allowing me to ignore him and tend to my other kids, it gives me the chance to love on him, let the kids love on him, and pay more attention to him. He makes our family work right now...gives us an excuse to take it easier, spend more quiet time together, and just relish the smallest of smiles and the largest of hugs. It is the small things in life that matter the most and you just have to stop and smell the roses! I think he will always be that voice of reason in our home or at least I hope he is. :)


Thanks to my Heavenly Father for bringing us such special children to edify us and help us grow. I hope I can fulfil my role for them and at the least relay how much I love them.

3 comments:

Tina said...

This is a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah said...

You just put a lump in my throat, Julie! Thanks for sharing...Maybe you two were inspired to name little Cam after my dad. He, too, is able to be content, even in difficult situations, and is always a voice of reason :)

Ryann said...

That was really wonderful. You have a gift for writing such moving posts! And you do have an amazing family as well!