This is what I said to my son as I escorted him to his room for the second time for a time out. We are reestablishing house rules and family respectful behaviors. Today has been a rough day for Luke. He just argues and yells and basically thinks he rules this roost. So, I am calmly doing the 1-2-3 Magic routine...which I think works best for Luke since it eliminates the argument, explanation, or any emotion from me. He thrives on our banter and really thinks he should get chance after chance to correct behavior. Well, he is 4. I expected as much when he was 3 and we had to start this routine then. Every summer really...maybe it is the weather or lack of school structure. So, he gets an extra minute if he is screaming or kicking the door while in time out. When he went back to his room he began screaming, "You are NOT the sheriff anymore. You are NOT the sheriff anymore!" Then he peeked his head out to inform me of my demotion...HA! HA! EXTRA MINUTE! I said, "that's 1 more minute. That's two. " He said, "That's 3. that's 4 and slammed his door!" UH, excuse me?!!!!!!! HOW OLD ARE YOU? 16? Sadly, I had major deja vu about that one. :) Sorry mom. Perhaps it isn't that he is acting so old, but that the 16 year olds that throw fits over groundings or loss of privileges are acting 4.
Anyway, we have a whole new plan we are implementing in pieces. Today is going to be a long day, but hey, I'm the law around here and it is high time he start abiding by it. ;)
Wish me luck!
(Luke just came out since he took his time out nicely and he came up to me to say, "Mom, I have soemthing to tell you. You're not the Sheriff anymore. I am the Sheriff." To which I replied, "go back to your room.") AHHH!
2 comments:
It's really too bad spanking has so little positive impact on his behavior. It's sure a lot easier. ;-)
Are you sure that you are not at my house by mistake. I feel your pain. When did kids start acting like this at such a young age. I am sure that I was perfectly sweet at 3 or 4 years old. I'm with Rob when did spanking quit working with kids?
Post a Comment