Saturday, June 28, 2008

Competitive or Scared?

We just finished up a two week round of swimming lessons for Luke. Let me tell you that is was NOT fun. Luke began the lessons being totally brave...he went underwater the first class and did everything his teacher told him. I thought we finally crossed over to learning how to swim rather than just getting used to the water. Anyway, we got a little derailed with him getting sick, but then he just plain old wouldn't participate. Needless to say, I was really, extremely frustrated. I did keep taking him and plopping him in the water and insisting that he stay with his class even if he didn't do all of the activities. Well, Thursday he was first in line in the class and he did every single stroke and activity! He said, "Mom, I did good because I was first today!" Every other day he was last in line. After each class he would talk about all the kids being able to, "do it by themselves," especially his best buddy Nick. (just a side note...Luke and Nick compete about nearly everything...even whose brain is bigger and therefore is smarter.) He would say, "I can't do it!" Well, being first set the competition differently. I think in his mind now they had to follow him. What is it about boys? I didn't completely understand or believe this was the sole reason for the change in attitude, but I was going with it. I told him to make sure he was first in line so he can do it by himself. Friday started much like the old lessons...no action and he wasn't first in line... UH-Oh! (record screech to a halt) I refused to end these lessons on this note! I walked over to the pool and nonchalantly whispered to Luke, "Hey, why aren't you first in line...maybe you should move over on the other side of Claire for the rest of the lesson so you can do your best." (can you believe that mom move? I am a little embarrassed about it.) Well? IT WORKED! He had a great class and we are finally through the lessons! WHEW! Now lets see how he does in private lessons in Miami... I wonder when this competitive stage will pass? My husband says it really doesn't, but the boys learn to keep their desires to win more private and subtle. All I know is that I am not programmed that way. I am probably one of the least competitive women...can't we all just get along I say? This is just another reason I had a boy first...I needed to learn about this world of boys. I learned a lot about my son during this experience and I am sure there will be many more of these AH-HA moments.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

He did great in lessons even if a few of the days were frustrating for you. Hey, I just heard of a recent study of preschoolers that concluded that girls are actually much more competitive than boys, that boys seem more so because they use direct aggression to get their way whereas the girls are much more sneaky and utilize deception, gossiping and backbiting.

Natalie C. said...

You know I feel your frustration. I have the feeling Miami will be a little better for him. But there's no way with Luke that he'll end up like my mom- she was so stubborn and terrified that she refused to learn anything in any lessons & to this day she as an adult doesn't know how to swim. She would drown! Now Mia might actually end up that way at this rate.

Rob and Jewls said...

I have heard that about girls and it is still aggression just in a different way. Luke does seem to have a positive attitude about the lessons as a whole now, so that is good.

JoJo said...

I just found your blog by following the link on Dianah's! Sweet!!!

You are a great mom and it's proved by that brilliant "mom move." I'm wondering when that competitive thing will kick in for Peter... hmm...

Mom and Dad said...

Luke is just following in his dad's footsteps. If Rob couldn't be the best at whatever, he would just quit. One time he stopped reading until I figured out what was going on. But look where that competitiveness (is that a word?)got him today! Mom M.