Friday, June 20, 2008

And the insensitive, mean mom award goes to...

JULIE!!!!

Some of you know I have enrolled Luke in a two week swim course. It is a 30 min. lesson each day. Well, the first day, Luke did awesome! He went under the water willingly. He did tummy floats willingly. The next day wasn't so great. He got in and began shivering in the cold. I wasn't too phased at first because he did that yesterday, but the excitement and movement in swimming kept the shivers at bay until he actually got out and froze his butt off. This time he held his arms in and shivered and refused to participate in anything that required his head going under the water. I was getting pretty irritated at my 4 year old who was acting like he was 2. I kept prompting him to get wet, rather than standing waist deep in the pool, and he would warm up. He did do one stroke that required being under water, but he kept his face out. Anyway, he kept begging me to get out and I refused. After what seemed to be the longest 30 minutes ever, he was finished and I took him to the car. We discussed the importance of swimming lessons. I am sure every parent at the pool thought me ridiculous when I threatened, "we aren't going to the pool anymore this summer unless you start trying to learn to swim. You can't hold on to mommy all the time." I even took the cheap shot, "Carys is going to swim better than you do if you don't try." I knew he felt bad, but I was beyond annoyed. I paid money for these lessons. Our summer would be much better if I didn't have 2 kids hanging on my arms in floaties at the pool. Seriously! I wasn't kidding about Carys learning sooner...she is taking to the water much quicker than her brother. (Maybe I am less cautious too with her.)

The reason for the award, you ask?

We got home and he kept up his typical shenanigans and then fell asleep for 30 minutes (unheard of these days). He woke up burning hot with a 102.8 fever. DUH, MOM! HE PROBABLY HAD A LOW-GRADE FEVER AND THAT IS WHY HE WAS THE ONLY KID SHIVERING LIKE CRAZY IN THE POOL! Way to go, Julie, making your 4 year old feel wimpy because he didn't feel like swimming when we was sick! In my defense, I didn't know he had a fever AND it is pretty normal fraidy-cat behavior for Luke sometimes. As if I didn't have enough guilt this summer over not having enough energy to play all day and do all the fun things I want to do with the kids, now I had to go an scar him for life. He'll probably never do these swim lessons again for fear of failing! Hopefully, I can manage some damage control. Wish me luck ;0

He is sick. His fever spiked again today to 103.9! The Motrin does wonders though. He seems to be fine other than the fever too! No other symptoms I can see or that he has reported. Odd.

5 comments:

Monkeys' Mom said...

You're not the only one! Every time Ainsley is the whiniest and most irritating to deal with, we realize the next day that she was sick and that's why she was driving us so nuts the day before and it makes us feel like the worst parents ever!

Angela

Rob and Jewls said...

Thanks! I do feel a little better knowing others make the same mistakes! too bad there isn't some sticker that starts changing color as soon as they are coming down with something. Maybe we should coordinate with some scientists to invent that. :)

Andy and Katy said...

I hev done that too many times to count. Gotten after Zack and later realizing he was whining because he wasn't feeling well. You are a wonderful mom and just wanted him to be brave.

Erika said...

Julie--I have gotten that award too many times to count! Austin is the same way...and I push him to do stuff. Why can't the boys be as tough as our girls?! Don't beat yourself up over this...we do the best we can...with what we know.

Jen said...

Jewls! I LOVE reading your blog, its always entertaining. Hope things are going well - tell Rob Hi!

Jen Weekley