Four days later we made our first trip to the ER with our son. I am sure it will be the first of many, but it is a little scary the first time. Luke was playing with the Caribou/cranium game and he was pushing it around the tile floor on his knees when he slipped and landed on the ridge of the game and split the area beside his eye. It looked awful and bled pretty badly. He was more upset at the notion of going to the doctor because he hates band aids and didn't want one! Once he realized I was going to take care of him and do what we needed to do to fix the owey he relaxed. The entire experience went much better than I expected and Luke did awesome...thank goodness for topical numbing liquid prior to the actual injection...he didn't feel a thing. His war wound: 7 stitches and a proud story to tell. He really was amazing. Here are some pics of my little brave boy...cell phone pics so they aren't great.
before:
after:
My good news:
My friend Brynn showed up at my house to drop off something at the perfect time as we were leaving for the ER and she offered to keep Carys. She stayed at my house, which was a total disaster of course! (I had two finals and was waiting until I finished school to get caught up on the cleaning...I did mop the kitchen floor that morning though.) Anyway, I was too concerned with getting out of there to really think about the state of my house and how, only a truly good friend would be permitted to see my house at this point. Actually, who am I kidding, my mom is about the only person who would be welcome in that mess. So, Brynn, was a major friend to me and it only got better. After all of the ER business, I came home and to my surprise, Brynn had cleaned my kitchen and living room. She vacuumed and even folded my pile of clean clothes and put another load in. I cannot tell you how much I needed this that day. I was so overwhelmed and struggling with a cold, a hurt kid, a messy house, a final, and my last class at 7 pm. It was as if she knew without any words what I needed. I was so grateful I nearly cried. In fact, I dare say it is one of the sweetest and sincerest random acts of kindness I have ever received. It is amazing how people are put in your path and things happen that remind you that people are good and friends are awesome and essential. Brynn, you are a true friend and an example to me. I will never forget how I felt when I came home. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
On the good friend note...I have been so lucky in my life to have good friends. I have met some incredible women here in DC and they have enriched my life is so many ways. Add them to the friends that I have known throughout my life and I am still connected to and I honestly don't know how life could be without my girls in my life. My boy (Rob) counts too as my best friend and I don't discount that. Here is a shout out to all my peeps, YO!!!!
6 comments:
Wow! Luke is such a brave boy! I just hope he doesn't follow in Rob's footsteps with the surgery thing. I guess that's what happens when you have boys. Yikes!!
wow what a week at the morgan's. thank goodness for brynn, i wish i'd been there to help instead of laying on the beach. as long as rob can still call out advice from the boat, we'll see you on the water!
Yikes! Your poor boys! and poor you! What a blessing that Brynn came by. She's an angel, that one.
Rob's best new waterskiing advice: if you fall, try not to do it while careening out of control in the direction of the wake. If you insist on doing so, just make sure your arms aren't flailing wildly when you make impact. Is that a good enough tip to get me another invite?
Rob, you are hilarious! I have a total visual of your careening, flailing body hitting the water. OUCH! I have to admit though that bruise (this is the Nurse in me talking) is TOTALLY AWESOME!
Jewls, no big deal, you know you would have done the same for me. Besides my kids were angels in your house. Do you have a Valium mist or maybe a "special herbal" candle I don't know about? and where can I get one? :)
I wish I had a valium mist maybe then I wouldn't yell so much! -Julie
Post a Comment