I don't hate laundry, but we just don't get along. I cannot keep up with it although I almost always resolve to do a load each day after hauling my 8th load up the stairs. I don't really mind the mess (just ask my bedroom floor) and the over flowing laundry baskets because I have grown quite good at shoving as much as I possibly can into those hampers. Some would say my kids have too much clothing if I can go nearly 2 weeks without washing. To those people I say, hey, why do you think they have all of those clothes? BINGO! So, I can go a few more days without doing their laundry. Sadly, Rob and I can't go that long so we have to wash more frequently.
I recently read of a friends love affair with her laundry days...the smell, the relaxation, the order, the calm. Can you say Super Mom? I wish. I really wish I could feel that way. I can barely muster up the internal fortitude to take a load down the stairs let alone enjoy it. I tell myself it is because I have a baby at home right now or because I don't have the luxury of having a laundry shoot and have to haul clothes down two flights of stairs. The dirty truth, the real reason, is that I am just not domestic enough to find the joy in this particular part of my job...or better explained as laziness (ha ha...more like busyness). It is OK, I don't pretend to be a domestic goddess and I don't proclaim to be good at the things I am not (I fold terribly and do not sort colors in the wash...I know, GASP!). I am pretty honest and while I do NOT love laundry, I love those I serve. I love being a mom. I love that I am not perfect at homemaking or rather housekeeping because it gives me something to keep trying to improve. Oh, and I do love the smell of clean clothes.
In my efforts to get ready for our big road trip to Miami for Spring Break I HAD to do laundry. I don't think I have ever had this much at one time. Please note there are 6 piles for Carys, 5 piles for Cameron, 4 for Luke, 3 for Rob and 2 big ones for me. Please do not miss that pile of socks waiting to be sorted...tomorrow if at all (another bad habit is creating a sock basket where I match as needed...sad, I know). Alas, I am NOT finished. I have a load drying and one washing (linens). I am also not washing rugs and such, but hey...that is a LOT of laundry! So, lookie, lookie, who gets the cookie!?! Mom is the HOWWSE!
8 comments:
Ummm...I love you!
Does laundry ever end? I swear, once I catch up...it seems it is that time again. It will forever stalk me.
Well, have a fun trip. I'll call you. Hugs!
you crack me up. and doesn't it feel good to see one tangible result of your hard work?!!
So perfect that I read this today. I have been folding and washing all day and I even asked Jeff if he would be home for a laundry folidng date tonight. He told me it would be another late one. Yeah right he is working late he is just trying to avoid helping with the laundry.
ahh, laundry! the necessary evil! i do at LEAST 2 loads a day! yuck!
I just want you to know a few weeks ago I had to go the the laundromat because I had so much laundry. 10 washer loads later I was caught up (for about 10 seconds). It is a task that is never done. Hang in there!
I can understand why people join nudist colonies: Not to see other people in their b-day suits, nor have a perpetual free-breezy-feeling, nor for reasons socio-political liberation. It is to avoid copious amounts of laundry. I firmly believe this.
...sometimes a nudist colony sounds pretty enticing. sigh.
I'm one of those people who actually enjoys doing laundry simply because it's one of the few household chores I'm actually good at.
I also love seeing the kids clothes hung up on our special hangers all nice and neat. :)
I am sooooo with you on the laundry thing. I really love the smell, and having clean clothes, but I detest doing laundry. I really don't hate it, I just never get it finished or put away! I am 100% with ya on that subject! Props for getting all that done :)
Post a Comment