So, resourceful mommy is back up and has listed the rest of the parenting challenges for us to go through at our leisure. I decided to take the weekend for this challenge: Get down to their level when you speak to them today - be amazed at how your communication with your children changes when you're face to face...
Results:
While I am not "amazed" at how my communication with my children changed, I did notice a difference particularly when we were out of the house. For some odd reason that is when I feel the most exhausted by the amount of reminders and instructions I have to give my children. I think it is because they are excited (out somewhere with friends for fun) and sometimes bored (whens dragged around on errands), which makes them forget their manners, rules of self-control, and ultimately forget who their mother is...(and to think I always thought I was unforgettable ha ha!) We were at Costco for our Saturday shopping trip and usually the kids do pretty well. Lately, it has been going downhill. Luke is jumping and colliding into food, people, and carts. Carys is racing down the aisles like she is competing for an Olympic gold and I am shouting their names, "Lucas!" "Carys!" "Both of you get back here and walk with us before you run into someone...again!" All of these scenarios bring many disapproving looks and some "I pity you" looks, too. So, I caught myself and knelt down in front of them both and explained my request and reminded them of our expectations while shopping. They both made eye contact and it did work...for a while. I had to keep getting on their level throughout the day, but when I did it worked more immediately than if I just shouted at them, over their heads so to speak. I am still working on this one since it does require me to stop my normal behavior and self-correct. I do want to keep it up because I think it is important to remind children who is speaking to them and in all fairness give them a good opportunity to make the right choice since they really can't ignore me when I am staring at them face to face. I think shouting over them sort of sets them up for failure, you know? They can't help they are kids bouncing around half-listening to the giants in their lives. They can't help that their peers are way more enticing to listen to since they are on their levels and much cooler than mom. They need help focusing. Remembering to get down to talk to them on their level really helps in focusing them and keeping me calm.
Next Challenge: Give them two choices instead of deciding for them or keeping decisions open-ended
No comments:
Post a Comment