Tuesday, November 11, 2008

"Are you serious!?"

This is the question I asked aloud with a giggle minutes after reading my good friend's post about how her daughter recently stuffed 4 pearls up her nose. I read their story and was imagining how I would feel if that were my daughter and wondered if I would've noticed the pearl. I was thinking, "phew...glad it wasn't me..."

UNTIL...

it was me and I again asked the question..."ARE YOU SERIOUS?!!" The difference being that I wasn't giggling this time and I wasn't reading about someone else's story! Yes, Carys inhaled a decent sized piece of Styrofoam into her nose (i just packed up some decorations and a piece must have broken off the box)! I thought I would use some of my newly acquired tips (thank you Kim) and I tried to make her sneeze. She did sneeze many times, but unfortunately she followed them up with a huge sniff of air that just took the piece farther up her nostril. I could see it, but couldn't get it out. We have new insurance and we haven't chosen the new doctors yet, so I quickly found someone and got her in. They couldn't get it out! They sent me across town to an ENT. The ENT nearly gave up. He told me she would have to go to the operating room if this last attempt didn't work. After a quick heart attack and an even quicker prayer, I tightened up my grip on her little head and they retrieved the Styrofoam. Her poor little nose.

Carys is a trooper! She marched into the first office, pointed to her nose, and said,"my nose! this side!" She was concerned that this process would hurt her so I told her it wouldn't hurt but it would just feel funny. She proceeded to tell the doctors how to do their job..."no hurt nose, juh fee fuyee. juh fee fuyee." (just feel funny) It was really cute how she was trying to maintain control in such a chaotic time in her little life. In that moment, it really became clear what a girl she truly...already a control freak! Oh, just a side note...my phone was dead without a charger (left in Miami) so it was difficult negotiating directions, places for luke, etc. I actually stopped at 4 different pay phones before finding a phone to call Rob for directions to the ENT! How did we live before cell phones?

Well, all is well that ends well! We have a clear nose...a new adventure to document and laugh at someday...and a happy girl that keeps sniffing now and exclaiming, "my nose...it betta!"

All in a days work!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it! Always better when it's someone else, right? I was feeling terrible a couple of weeks ago when I found a penny in Trevor's dirty diaper. I never knew he even swallowed it! I would have been worried his digestive track was getting destroyed. Luckily I didn't know and it came out without a hitch. Sorry you had to go through that!

RTM said...

At least you didn't have anything you wanted to get done today, right? Ha. There will definitely be more women in heaven than men.

Schmid Family said...

That is funny. Isn't it funny how kids think of these things. When I did daycare we had a boy that put 3 or so peas up his nose. All I really remeber about getting them out is that after several attempts his mom (who also worked at the daycare) was instructed to plug the clear nostril and blow into his mouth. It worked. I am glad that Carys is better and I am sorry that you had to go through that.

Andy and Katy said...

Oh my gosh, I am sorry!!!! Kids are really good at doing things that you are pretty sure they will never do. I am glad that they didn't have to put her out-what a mess. She is so cute!!!

Dianah said...

I am so glad that Carys is alright. I told Michael and we just hope that it doesn't happen to us. I am so glad that everything turned out well. It's amazing what a little prayer will do.

Anonymous said...

Um, when I was about Carys' age I stuck a gum wrapper up my nose. My parents did not know until I started to stink. It was actually rotting inside of my nose!!! My mom bathed me to no end and then decided to take me to the doctor. He knew that I had stuck something up my nose because I guess a stinking child means something up the nose. Anyway, it had adhered to the inside of my nose and he had to rip it out. They examined it and concluded that it was a gum wrapper and he guessed it had been there for about three weeks. Totally gross I know. So glad that Carys is okay. She will love hearing the story someday.

Natalie C. said...

Oh my gosh, Julie, I didn't know you had this adventure this week! Even better that Eli wasn't in the car Wed. giving everyone stomach flu & more medical grief.

Kim said...

I am laughing sooo hard right now! You kill me! Or should I say Carys kills me! What are we going to do with our cute little girls...little mischief makers! You just gotta love those kinds of stories! I can hardly wait to give Bryn her "pearls" at her wedding dinner! Something pretty wrapped in styrofoam would be perfect for Carys! I'm glad to know you got the styrofoam out safely and no surgery was required! Thank goodness for answered prayers and good doctors! I am soo SORRY you had to deal alone during the whole thing - I am WAY proud of you! Oh and AMEN and thank goodness for cell phones!