Monday, October 06, 2008

Things I Learned on my Alaska trip...


1. New Camera + Rob on a cruise = Japanese Tourist! Rob loves toys and this boat was a huge toy...he would've taken a picture of the motor if he could see it. He would run to the back of the boat just to check out the wake. He was contantly looking at our speed and the sea conditions. Combine that with a new toy camera and you have a little kid snapping pictures of everything! If you don't believe me you should see how many pictures we have! It was great because he captured a lot of our trip and it was one to remember!

2. There is such a thing as too much chocolate! ( I can't believe I am even saying it.)


3. I am very afraid of heights...just ask my zip line guide! I was the punch line of many a joke while on our expedition. I was the one hugging the trunk of the tree 150 ft in the air. I was the one visibly shaking as I stepped up to launch on the zip line. The actual zip line was not scary, but standing on the platform awaiting my turn was torture. I was particularly loony when Rob peered over the edge (we were hooked to cables in 3 places, but still!) like a darn kid! We did see bears and eagles as we soared through the rain forest. It was worth the knee knocking and nail biting and I have pictures to prove it!


4. We've aged a lot since our honeymoon trip 7 years ago. This realization came when we fully identified with this quote, "You know you are old when you have 2 choices and you choose the one that lets you go to bed earlier." That was us. I think we attempted the night life 2 nights on our cruise, but we literally could barely keep our eyes open through the illusionist show. I mean come on, you know Rob...do you think he is going to dance the night away in the cruise ship disco tech?

5. Everyone looks the same in a big orange life jacket! I am glad we now know how we would get off the cruise if there were an emergency, but man it was a hot and boring drill!


6. Even guys with mullets and tattoos seem to want to cruise to Alaska! (note our pal in the background...we must have seen him 80 times on the boat and we giggled every time)


7. It is OK to look like a complete dork when you are cold on a cruise to Alaska because the entire boat is too busy looking at glaciers to notice you! Luckily, my camera happy hubby didn't miss the photo opp!


8. I would love a career in towel tying...every night these cute little towel critters were waiting on our bed! I would eagerly go back to the cabin to check them out...way more exciting than piano bar music, right? (maybe it is the fact that I am a mom of two)


9. Glacier water does look blue and is very tasty! Yes, Rob actually drank it on top of the glacier!


10. Victoria was one of our most awesome stops! It was quaint and pretty and it had a really active night life! There were some hilarious signs outside of this soap store (they are names of the bars of soap). I thought it was too funny not to pose in front of...we were on a kid-free cruise!

11. I still think my husband is gorgeous! I loved our trip! I loved having no kids, no school, no work, no cell phones, no nothing! Alaska was worth the wait! I can't wait to go again someday when my kids will appreciate it.

(I am sorry this post is nearly 2 months late!)

5 comments:

Schmid Family said...

I'm jealous...that looks like a lot of fun.

-John (using Amy's blog thingy)

Adriana said...

Looks like you guys had a blast!!

Andrea said...

Whatever, Rob would have been forced into dancing if we were there - just wait until Acapulco 2010!

Rob and Jewls said...

yeah baby!!!!

Erika said...

No kids?! Ahhhhh! I am so jealous! When was this? Did you go for my birthday (aka...your anniversary too!) It looks like you had a great time! Nick always talks about going to Alaska...I hope we'll go sometime (if Nick ever finishes up school)!