Monday, October 06, 2008

"The Joy in the Journey"

This was a message in one of the talks in our recent Church General Conference. I have heard the saying before, but have recently talked about it with my mother and it really hit home this time. My kids have been pretty crazy lately and have been pushing my limits and patience. Just this simple phrase reminded me to notice the joyous moments each day that can help you move through the not so joyous moments. My kids always bring me joy in just being their mother, but you all know the hairy days/phases they can go through that make you feel like pulling your hair out. ;)
Here are some moments that brought me joy over the last few days.

1. Before bed Carys had to give each of her 4 babies a kiss good-night. It was so tender and sweet. You have to remember the world of boy I have been in for the past few years. For Carys it was all she needed to do to get ready for bed.

2. Carys wanted her big brother Luke to give her her good-night kiss instead of me. Luke balked and rolled his eyes, but smirked and said, "Aaaall-right...why does she want me to kiss her good-night?" (secretly honored to have the job) Then he leans to kiss her through the crib bars and Carys gives the most whole-hearted giddy giggle! It was so funny. Luke was embarrassed and ended up kissing her hand and foot instead of her cheek because she couldn't stop giggling every time he tried! They won't remember this moment when they are fighting in the backseat of our car more frequently than not.

3. Luke says, "Mom, I just love happy endings!" (me too, buddy, me too!)

4. Luke has been pretending to be superman and he touches his heart to change from "Luke" to "Superman." Every time he changes back to Luke I say, "Oh I am so glad you're back. I really miss you when you are superman doing super hero things." He responds, "Well, mom, I have to do super hero things...who else is going to do it? I will just stay Luke a little longer so I don't miss you." (SWEET!)

5. I found myself sitting alone in Chick-Fil-A, sipping my Coke, while my kids ran around the play area. I loved the silence and especially the wonders of Plexiglas as I couldn't hear the screams or anything kid...yes, that too, was a joyous moment in my journey. Hey, we matter too and sometimes it takes moments of silence to remember that!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

all of the stories are cute but i especially love the superhero one - your kids are so sweet and i love them so much!