Saturday, April 19, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUKE!!!!

My baby boy is now 4 year old! I can't believe it. I actually have really bitter-sweet feelings about it. He just really seems like a little boy this year--not a toddler anymore at all. We are in Utah unexpectedly** and so we had the chance to have a little celebration for Luke with family. he is going to have a "Racing Party" with friends in May once Rob is finished with finals and school. I will be posting more about that as soon as I have more time to think and type. I asked Luke what he would be doing better now that he is four like jumping higher and running faster. He said, "Yeah, I will jump higher and run faster. I won't pick my nose either." We died laughing. Grandpa reminded Luke he shouldn't make promises he can't keep. The mind of a 4 year old. I guess that is one habit he feels guilt or social pressure to quit over. Here are a few reasons I love my Luke.

#1- Luke has an amazing little brain...he can sneak and manipulate, he can do really hard puzzles and is learning to read, he remembers tidbits from everywhere, loves to do workbooks, and still remembers to tell me he loves me all the way up to heaven every day...just like I do.

#2- Luke has always been a little slow to smile and wasn't the most cuddly baby, but he has become just a wonderful cuddler. He comes in every morning and the first thing he says is, "Good Morning Mom," and then crawls in bed and cuddles with me. That definitely softens the blow of a 6:15 am wake up call.

#3- He is such a social guy. He loves all of his friends and never forgets them. He lists every friend in prayers and has little stories about them all. I have loved watching him grow socially as he learns to foster friendships and matures.

#4- I love how he can be very boisterous but extremely shy too. He LOVES to tell/show you his new trick or skill, but the minute you fuss over it, he gets uncomfortable and gives a sly smile before he averts his eyes with embarrassment. To me it shows humility in such a little guy.

#5- I love how Luke will tell you what he needs in life whether it is a love, a playmate, or some down time. Just this morning when we asked him what he was doing he replied, "Nothin, just waiting for an adult to play with me." WE all laughed at his brutal honesty.

#6- I love how Carys was "Baby Carys" for the first year of her life and now he says, "my sister." He loves her and protects her too. Once at a McDonald's play land some kids were getting rough around Carys and I heard Luke say, "Hey! That's my sister! I'm coming Carys!" Then he climbed up the play structure and saved her! It was a priceless moment.

#7- I love how he thinks he is the best at everything and competes in everything too. I shouldn't love the competition, but I love the confidence he exudes daily. I know he can't lose without crying or whimpering a little bit, but I love how passionately he wants to succeed at all he does. A trait, I think will serve him well one day.

#8- I love that he is quite stubborn and willful. This trait is definitely the most challenging one, but I love his assertiveness, and quick wit, and mostly that he feels secure enough to ask questions. (please remind me of this when I am ready to scream and pull my hair out.)

#9- Luke loves sports and recently has become very interested in fishing. He will accompany his dad to the ends of the earth to do something outdoorsy.It is becoming a great little adventure learning to be a man like his dad. I am glad he is such a boy.

#10- Luke is a little chef. He cooks with me all the time and loves it. He has been cooking with me since I could sit him on the counter and he is rather good. He can crack eggs, stir without making too large of a mess, and helps me measure ingredients and pour them in. It is great!

There are so many more, but right now I am tired and need some sleep. We had a lot of excitement today. (see posts later for more about his bday)

**Please don't hate me if you live in Utah and I didn't call you. This trip was last minute and was an important family trip for Rob's grandpa. Sometimes that is life and it is important for us to be here with family. Our next trip there will be more social and we will love to catch up then.

1 comment:

Erika said...

Happy Birthday Luke! It seems like just yesterday that your mommy and i were contemplating what day you would come...and you made it just fine! I wish we could get to know you better and see you more often...Happy Bday bud.

Julie, I hope that everything is ok with his gpa. Enjoy this family time, it is always nice to just do family for a bit. Miss you tons.