Thursday, February 21, 2008

Can't wait to get away...

I am getting ready to leave in a matter of minutes to visit my friend Kristi who just had her second baby...a boy named Griffin. I was feeling a tad bit of guilt as I looked at my house in chaos and realized I was leaving like a tornado does and in this instance leaving my husband to deal with the kids and mess. WELL, NO MORE GUILT because I NEED A BREAK! I realized five minutes ago that I can't wait to not see my kids for a little over a day. I am driving to Pittsburgh and I am thrilled to be able to listen to my own music and talk on the phone and just be alone! My kids are great, but like most kids, they know the perfect button to push to nearly ruin my day. Lately it has seemed like they are tag teaming me and again I repeat I can't wait to have a break from my kids. I am excited to help my friend with her toddler (Luke's best buddy Morgan) and do what I can for her and her newborn. In a lot of ways I relish the fact that I am not just taking a sleep late break or a spa day, but actually still being productive and doing something that I feel good about without my kids! So, here is to a couple of days of sanity! Perhaps I will come back renewed and ready to take on my dynamic duo...somehow, I doubt it! Do we ever really renew our energy as mothers? I don't know. I will probably miss them like crazy, but absence makes the heart grow fonder rings loudly in my head right now.

Disclaimer: Yes, I still love my kids and think they are my wonderful gift for all you readers out there that are judging my brutal honesty right now. :) FREEDOM!

4 comments:

Shelly said...

Julie, I hear you loud and clear. I absolutely adore my girls and there isn't anything I would rather do than be a full time mom, but getting a break is so essential to my sanity! You're lucky to be able to take more than just a few hours. Have a wonderful time, especially the alone time in the car!

Andy Morgan said...

You deserve the break. I think that sometimes people forget that we are moms 24/7. You job starts from birth and there is not 9-5 in mommy-hood. I hope that you have so much fun, and drive safely. Love ya, Katy

melbo said...

I don't think you needed to add the disclaimer - of course you love your kids!! The ones we care about the most do the best job at driving us crazy; I think because we try so hard to give them our best and its exhausting! I guarantee you that your kids (and ROB!) are going to go crazy WITHOUT you, and knowing that, and appreciating the irony in it, should make you feel loved, right? :)

Erika said...

Heaven knows I understand!! In fact, i am jealous!
Miss you!