Thursday, November 29, 2007

Chinese Water Torture!

I had to share this witty metaphor from my friend, Kristi. As a disclaimer, she is one of the most patient moms I know and has the sweetest little girl, too! We were discussing our kids and how these three year olds are relentless when they want something. She proceeded to compare their whining and nagging for stuff as, "Chinese Water Torture...slow and painful!" I died laughing as she continued to say, "I want a candy cane. Can I have a candy cane? I want a candy cane? Can I have a candy cane now? " in her best three year old voice.

Oh, isn't it the truth? You moms out there know the sheer stubbornness of a toddler. I am regularly amazed by it. How can their will power be stronger than ours? We literally are worn down and cave to their pleas and bargaining (water torture) just so the nagging can stop. (I wonder if that is how my husband feels when I remind him frequently about the trash going out on time...) Thank you, Kristi, for bringing humor to what so often beats us down as parents and getting me to laugh about it!

You know the saying, "if Mom ain't happy, ain't nobody happy," well, I think it should really read, "if the toddler ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." Maybe that would explain why we go to all ends to keep them from having fits so they can smile and coo at us. At the end of the day, we love them and we please them the best we can..."Yes, you can have a candy cane!!" (the dripping stops)

No comments: