Today was my stake conference. Rob went alone and I attended last night. Today he filled me in on one speaker's talk on indulgence. Overall, I do agree that we, as a society, are incredibly indulgent. I have a really hard time admitting my own indulgence. Do I feel entitled? I know plenty of people that have what I call the "entitlement mentality." I don't feel that I represent that type of person. However, I do treat myself to any food, treat, or "indulgence" that I see fit as my little reward for making it through my day.
I like to think I am more a creature of habit than an indulgent one. For example, shortly after Carys was born I discovered Chocolate Dipped Sundae Cones. For every day that I made it through when Rob was gone late, I got my ice cream treat as I unwound on the couch or in bed. I did see it as a reward. I looked forward to it during the day and planned when I would buy more so never to run out of my treat. Well, my adjustment to two kids finally got easier and I didn't need the reward, but I did begin my ice cream habit. (I gladly state that I no longer am slave to the chocolate dipped cones.)
This same cycle has occured with fast food, shopping, movies, tivo, or whatever I decide I "deserve" for the day. I paid little attention to the expense. I paid little attention to the fat calories. I paid little attention to how much time my kids are in the car. Perhaps it was my escape? Who knows, but as Rob and I discussed the problem of indulgence in lives and families, I felt guilt. My friends know that it doesn't take much to make me feel guilty, but in this instance it was well placed. It is healthy guilt and I truly need to reassess my life. Am I teaching my kids the same cycle of indulgence and rewards. Am I being short-sighted rather than looking to the future? My husband would answer with a hearty, "yes!" Most of the indulgence brings immediate joy and really doesn't bring too much long term happiness...just ask my thighs and disorganized house that have both been neglected. Actually, I can happily say the changes have already begun this fall, so I can rest easier knowing I am on the path of least indulgence...well, maybe after I eat my chocolate for the night! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment