Tuesday, September 07, 2010

First graders rule!!!

It is hard to believe Luke is in first grade. It seems like it was yesterday that he was toddling around my house using markers to decorate the walls and unloading drawers. Now he is marching to the bus stop cheerfully talking about who may be in his class this year. I am so very proud of my boy and can't wait to hear about his first day.



The tough first graders at the bus stop!


Since we planned our vacations for the last two weeks of summer we didn't have a lot of time to prepare for school. I felt a little sad that I didn't create some delicious hot breakfast or some fancy count-down thingy, but I did manage to squeak out a good spur of the moment lesson before school. I decided it is good enough to share and even repeat every year as our mantra for school/life success. They are my 3 B's of School: Be Confident, Be a Learner, and Be Kind. If he strives to do all three he will feel successful and make friends in nearly all environments, but particularly in school. I explained what confidence (believing in yourself and use that to make good choices) was and how it applied, but the other two are self-explanatory. Anyway, some may have better "send off" words of wisdom, like my personal favorite from a friend, "You are a child of God. You have the right to be treated like one. You have the responsibility to act like one," but I felt it encompassed what I deemed important this year for Luke's success.

2 comments:

RTM said...

Time flies. Hard to believe I have a kid as old as I was when lasting memories were formed. Let's hope he doesn't repeat his dad's 1st grade performance of refusing to read due to frustration over Timmy Grant being able to read faster than me!

Mom and Dad said...

He's such a little man. So cute and adorable. I can't believe my oldest grandchild is in first grade. I hope he has a great year in school! Grandma Lani